02 January 2008

Because Skye


Ring of Bright Water
Gavin Maxwell

He has married me with a ring, a ring of bright water
Whose ripples travel from the heart of the sea,
He has married me with a ring of light, the glitter
Broadcast on the swift river.
He has married me with the sun's circle
To dazzling to see, traced in summer sky.
He has crowned me with the wreath of whit cloud
that gathers on the snowy summit of the mountain
Ringed me round with the world-circling wind,
Bound me at the whirlwind's centre.
He has married me with the orbit of the moon
And with the boundless circle of the stars,
With the orbits that measure years, months, days and nights,
Command the winds to travel or be at rest.

At the ring’s centre,
Spirit, or angel troubling the still pool,
Causality not in nature,
Finger’s touch that summons at a point, a moment
Stars and planets, life and light
Or gathers cloud about an apex of cold,
Transcendent touch of love summons my world to being.

No comments: